Sunday, June 21, 2015

10 years!

Rob has been planning a trip for our ten year anniversary for several months. After getting the kids all lined up with Gabby and Gigi and Cappy we hope on a plane.
and after several delays and issues with United Airlines we finally made it to our first destination...NYC. I have always wanted to go there at Christmas time. And despite United losing my bag, it did not disappoint!
 We were in the middle of our diet with AJ though and had planned on "taking off for vacation" so our first meal was a steak dinner, drinks and all.
 and dessert too!
This was about as close to the Rockafeller tree that we could get.

The next day we headed down to the 911 Memorial which was our couldn't miss item.
 Both this and the OKC Memorial are so moving and powerful. Such a perfect example of the resilience of America.
My bag was at the hotel when we got back so I was finally able to change clothes. There were all these wonderful Christmas Markets all around town so we spent the evening exploring all of those and each bought a fun hat.

Wade & Whitney recommended we try Sarabeths at Central Park and it did not disappoint.
 
We spent the next day exploring shops and markets and checking out all the Christmas windows. We had wanted to eat at Serendipity but the wait was WAY to long and Rob does not do waits well so instead we checked out a random place called the Writers Room and loved it.
 I know it sounds funny but I really don't think we have been on a vacation just the 2 of us since our honeymoon. Don't get me wrong we are extremely lucky and get to travel quite a bit but we hadn't taken the chance just the two of us. I was worried if we would run out of things to talk about or get on each others nerves and we didn't!! It was so wonderful rekindling those conversations we used to could have over things other than kids and finances.
I hope we get to explore NYC at Christmas again.
We had to wake up SUPER early the next morning to catch our flight to our next destination. CANCUN 
I was a kind of hesitant when Rob spilled the beans and said we were going to Cancun. The one and only time I have been there was on our High School Senior Class trip. I had always told Rob that once we turned 19 we were too old for that place and heaven forbid my kids ever step foot there. Well he promised he had gotten all his advice from our friend Stacy who is an expert vacation traveler and planner so I trusted her opinions and suggestions. And it did not disappoint.
I forgot how quickly you can get to Cancun and by lunch time we were sitting outside sipping on frozen drinks. OUr resort was Live Aqua and despite being right on the strip it was so quite and peaceful and totally upscale.
 Top notch drinks!! Yummy yum yum.
 
 
 The water was freezing. I don't think I even ever go tin the pool but it was perfect for sitting out in the sun ALL DAY LONG. And that is what we did for 4 days!
 Reading and talking and people watching.
 
The spa there was INCREDIBLE. They had a steam room that I almost wished I was sick because it would have totally cured a cold just sitting in it. Rob even pushed through a couple massage with only a few laughs for me. He even treated me to a facial the next day so I could enjoy all the amenities again.
 The resort surprised us one night and had this all set up when we got back from dinner.
 Rob about wet his pants laughing.
 But we partaked in the champagne not problem.
 
 Stacy did not warn us about some of the peoples choice of bathing attire. We saw lots of butt cheeks and bellies.
 My favorite thing that happened was one night at dinner. (they had excellent food not your typical all inclusive places). anyways Rob choose some salad with a  fancy name and after devouring about half of it looked down and realized the raisin type things he was eating were grasshoppers!!!! Apparently it is their specialty salad. The waiter must have noticed me about to fall over laughing and ROb getting pale because he rushed over to make sure everything was ok.
 I forgot how blue the water is there.
 Our last day was bittersweet.
 I so enjoyed only seeing this face and getting one on one time.
 It really was something we each needed and something that even though we didn't realize our marriage was lacking we realized it here. That we need to make more time for just the two of us and sneak away even for just a night or two.
 Yes I love this man here more today than I did ten years ago on Dec. 18th  2004 (his 25th birthday). He has blessed me with a life I never dreamt I would have and 3 wonderful children whom I could not stop snuggling when we got home.
Thank you to an amazing friend and baby sitter Miss Gabby Garcia, our neighbors and friends and of course our incredible inlaws for keeping the kids and holding down the fort while we were gone. You will never know who much it means to us.
 

No comments:

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS