Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Canada Summer 2013

On May 30th another huge storm hit OKC and we lost power for the night. We were very lucky once again that our area was fine but we lost power for 20 or so hours and the airport got hit. Wouldn't have been much of an issue for us except the kids and I were headed out bright and early the next morning for Canada. We spent much of the evening over at the Boyds in their basement. (Now whenever they are testing the sirens Cooper gets all excited that we are going to get to go over there.)
Once we figured the weather had passed I got the kids home and in bed and spent most of the night packing using flashlights and trying to figure out if our flights were still on.
 
Luckily for us United was on schedule for our flights. Many were not so lucky American and Frontier had to cancel all their flights. So we were off. It was LONG three flights.
 The kids did much better than me. I only got a couple of hours of sleep that night and I started to get a head cold so I was not feeling that hot.
 But luckily they made it pretty easy.

 We arrived in Grand Prairie, Alberta late that night and Pops was there to pick us up. Cooper could hardly stand it until he saw him. We drove the couple of hours to Ft. St. John and then crashed at a hotel for the night. The next morning the kids woke up bright and early so we ran a few errands around town and headed off for the 3 hour drive into the ranch. Gabby got to drive the last couple of kilometers!
 Cooper was our "gate guy". We figured we would let him open all the gates he wanted.  There will come a time when he complains about having to do this.
 Gran was there to great us with open arms and lots of goodies to surprise the kids.
 She had made all new bedding for the doll bed Jenny and I used growing up and Gabby was sooooo excited.
 The kids wanted to play outside so of course they got there wish.
 I was beyond exhausted and snuck upstairs to take a nap. This was my view from bed. I literally took it with my head on the pillow. They played out there for a couple of hours.
Apparently they took some quad rides and visited the horses and all kinds of thing while I was napping.  Pops found their fishing poles and after dinner and baths it was time for a little casting practice. Cooper might not be a star athlete just yet but he is a darn good caster.  
 Pops tried his hardest to teach Gabby.
Gran and Pops had a few friend pop in to visit in their amphibious plane.
It was really cool to watch it take off.
 He and Pops spent a lot of the afternoon working in the tack shed.
Gabby and Gran made some pie

 And then we walked over to see what the boys were up too. You think G likes her Pops?
 She then insisted on seeing the horses up close. They have two of them in the little corrals because they are notorious fence jumpers. Spot is a "kids horse" You could probably do a hand stand on his back and Roni (like macaroni) has never actually been ridden. So Pops catches Spot and Cooper is all over it.
BUT Gabby she just wouldn't have it until Roni was at her disposal. And once again she got her wish.
 Luckily Roni cooperated.

 We went for a little bare back ride around the corral and then called it a day.
 I had to post proof my dad can use a computer. He acts like he can't but I caught him shopping online for new kayak pants.
 Cooper was so wiped out he passed right out and never moved from this position.
The next day Pops put the kids to work cleaning his shop. 
 And then Cooper and I went for a short horse back ride.
 I think he was starting to get pretty comfortable.
 Gabby had to try and lead a little.
 We went down to the end of the airstrip and then down to the river. He smiled the entire time.
 We had some spectators come check on us.

 After lunch we saddle back up and went for another ride with Pops.  This time we remembered Coops riding gloves.
 Spot and Coop bonded that day.

That night I couldn't find Georgia when it was time to go to bed. We caught her trying to play cribbage with the boys.
One morning Cooper helped Pops get the Bulldozer started
And then we all headed up to gather fire wood.
Is he not the cutest gate guy
 My four wheeler buddy.
 Once we got up there Cooper was a work horse. He loaded and loaded and loaded.
 And Gabby smiled!
I think Cooper felt like the king of the world. 
Because Gabby loved the horses so much Pops decided to make her, her very own stick horse with his scrap leather. The picture does it no justice. It is so cool and would probably sell for big bucks down here in the fancy baby boutiques.
 
Gran and Pops no how to entertain. Cooper made cookies one day.
 Mom and I tried to walk to the fishing hole and got rained out and Pops and the kids came to our rescue.
 Pops hung Cooper from this A-frame and he loved it.
 Gabby got carried everywhere she wanted by this guy.
 He even was willing to try hockey for her.
Gran bought Gabby a doll for her doll bed. She loved it for a day or so and the Gran pushed the button that made it cry and she threw it across the room and wouldn't look at it again.
 
I even caught them cuddling a few times.
  I actually stayed caught up with our church's challenge to read the Bible in 90 days! Not a difficult task when you have this view.
We took a trip to the fishing hole on evening.
 And this is where she wanted to be the whole time.
 Cooper got to test out his casting skills with a real lure instead of a washer.
 I spent the time trying to keep Gabby from jumping in the raging river.
 Cooper didn't catch a fish within the first 30 seconds and quickly found that throwing rocks in the river is also a ton of fun.
 and trying to get it to splash mommy is even better.
 I think they are loving being grandparents.
 Cooper insisted on leading the way back to the truck.
 I just love her grin here.
The next day Pops headed back to Grande Prairie to pick up Rob. Cooper got to tag along. He helped him with all his errands and even picked out his very own belt buckle for the belt Pops made him.
Gabby and Gran stayed busy baking bread
 I love that when I posted this picture on facebook  Joe comments "That this picture warmed his flower millers heart"
 I went for a walk and a run that day. This elk here on the hill was watching me almost every time I walked.
 The guys got back late that night and we had a nice dinner before calling it a day. The next morning Rob got to go on a little hunting adventure first thing so Gran and Gabby decided to hang out by the pond.
 
 And Pops let the kids drive him around.
 
They all enjoyed come watermelon on the porch. 
 Gabby decided she needed to put her feet up.
 A family came in to the ranch to hike up to Beattie Lake. They had to cross on the trolley so of course Cooper wanted to try it. HE really is only about 5 feet out. I promise.
 The next day it was our turn to go up to Beattie. But we got to go horse back. It was going to be Coopers horse back trip. So of course Gabby had to catch Spot for him.
 and show him how it is done.
Don't I have the cutest family ever. 
Next time you will get to go baby girl I promise!
 
 So I need to explain. This is a big deal. It is a 2-1/2 hour horse back ride up to the lake which INCLUDES crossing the Sikanni River. Cooper was beyond excited....I was beyond nervous. We had him all life jacketed up for the river crossing.  
Gabby and Gran followed us down to the river.
I prayed the whole time and he crossed it like a champ. We let my dad pony him across and Rob and I stayed ready to jump in if needed.

After the crossing we let him take off the life jacket and this was my view the rest of the way.
My favorite part was when he had to get off to pee about halfway. He could hardly walk his legs were all bow legged. I remember that feeling when I was a little girl on pack trips too.
 
 When we got to the lake all the Stones Sheep were on their way down the mountain for some salt. So Pops took Cooper to check them out.
 You can get really close to them here!
 We got all our gear together and headed out on the lake. Cooper was "pretty" patient. For a 4 year old at least.
 
 But he did catch the first fish. Coopers first rainbow trout was a doozie!
 Next up Daddy. I hate to admit it but I think he caught the biggest one.
 We took a break for lunch and roasted hot dogs and s'mores. Someone LOVED the chocolate.
 And decided to visit the sheep again.
 Look at this sweet baby!
 My little mountain man!
 I finally caught a fish after lunch.
 We decided to head over to the outlet creek to check out the spawning trout. We found some bald eagle feather while we were there and Pops got to wear them all the way home. We ran out of gas on our way back to camp do Pops and Cooper had to row.
 My poor fish didn't make it so we got to take him home for dinner. I am not a fan of fish but I do love me some fresh rainbow trout straight out of Beattie Lake.
 It was starting to get a late in the afternoon so we saddled up and headed back.
 It was an uneventful ride home. And Cooper was a champ!!! I am so proud of him. 5 hours on a horse is a marathon for a 4 year old.
Gabby was happy to have Pops back! Doesn't my dad have the most amazing "working mans" hands.
One afternoon Cooper, Rob and Pops flew up to the camp Blue Belle. Gabby was not happy to be left behind.
 But they enjoyed their afternoon.
When they got back Gabby got her wish (again)
 she loved it!
 Cooper always fell asleep in my lap. Gabby was alert and looking out each side the whole time.
 
 We even buzzed the buffalo across the river.
Our last day at the ranch we just goofed off. The boys fixed a hitching post so that meant the tractor got some use.
 
 Gran got to pull the kids around the hard on a snow shovel.
 Cooper baked 4 perfect loaves of bread. One for each member of his family he said.  
 We roasted hot dogs one last time. 
 We went for an "adventure" on the four wheelers. Gabby and Pops followed in the Hooptee
 It wasn't too long and she was totally out!
 Hanging out in the upper field.
 Looking for wildlife on the mountain side
 When we got back Gabby was all rested and wanted to help Pops make some new reins.
 And Cooper insisted on eating his whole loaf of bread.
The next day it was time to head out. We of course had to get our annual porch pictures. 
 
 
 
Peanut pouted! 
 We had dinner that night at a steak place and toasted our perfect visit.
 And Cooper and Gran tried out the hotel pool.
 Success!
 
The trip couldn't have gone better. I only wish we could have stayed longer. But since a certain little lady turned 2 a couple days later we had to catch her last "free" flight home. We love the Sikanni and everything that comes with it. I especially love the my kids love it so much. Gabby points at every plane now and says "look just like Pops plane" and Cooper her is soooo much braver! Until next time!
 

No comments:

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS