Wednesday, May 22, 2013

May 20 2013- Okla-HOME-a

Monday afternoon was very scary here in Norman. I had a 3:30 appointment in Moore with my trainer. He text to tell me he was headed to a shelter and we would touch base later about rescheduling.  We waited by the TV anxiously to see if we needed to run over into our neighbors basement. As time passed it was clear that we were in the clear but a huge tornado was headed directly toward Moore and towards our friends the Varners house. We knew Ilena and the kids were safe in storm shelter but we still prayed for their safety. Meanwhile Jeremiah was headed down 35 on his way to Odessa for work. Rob called and told him to pull over and wait because he would have been right along his path.  Thankfully he took our advice. We never imagined the destruction. It missed their home by less than 1/2 mile. The area it hit is all too familiar to our family. We shop at those stores, eat at those restaurants and go to movies at the Warren all on a regular basis. Rob left as soon as we saw it had crossed I-35 to check on Ilena and the kids (Bryson was in Tulsa for work). By then we had lost Internet and cable and basically were only getting updates via facebook and text. It took Rob over and hour to get to their house (it usually take 15 minutes). There neighborhood was fine but they were all shook up. She said the noise where they were was so loud she was sure all their homes were gone. I can't imagine what it was like for those in its direct path. They stayed for a few hours and then her and I headed back to check on their house and pick up her car. By the time we made it they had electricity and she decided to stay home. Jeremiah finally made it to our house at 9:30. The Cable came back on around the same time and we were able to see everything. Oh my. Jeremiah made it back from Odessa today and told me it literally looks like a huge bulldozer took it all out.
 
Many of you have emailed or text asking if I know what type of aid or help is needed in Moore. I know the quote "the most important things in life aren't things". And I totally believe in it. By Gods Grace no one we know was injured or lost their lives. But 2 my friends lost their homes and if a fewer "things" they have to be without just might make life a little easier.  My trainer Jon text me back around 8:45 that night. Told me he was fine but his house was gone. A few minutes later my friend Casey text me to tell me our friend & Gabby's teacher Emily and her family lost their home too.
 
So if you want to help please consider a donation to the Salvation Army (https://donate.salvationarmyusa.org/page.aspx?pid=207#location ) or the Oklahoma Regional Food Bank (http://www.regionalfoodbank.org/ ). Or if you want I am collecting gift cards to given to both of these families. Places like Target, Walmart, Walgreens, CVS, Sams, Babies r Us, Pet Smart. I know they have insurance and they are all very resililant people. But this would help with greatly with all the "inbetweens"
 
#1 Emily & Drew Pitchford (daughters 3, newborn)- Emily is one of Gabbys CDO and Sunday School teachers. Her and her husband are both deaf. They were at the Norman Mall when the tornado hit. Emily is one of my favorite people and she loves and adores Georgia and I know G feels the same about Emily. They found their dogs today and are staying at her grandmothers house. I can't imagine the frustration of trying to literally pick your life back up but even more so if you can't hear and speak via sign language.
 
#2 Jon Hooper- is my trainer. I don't if he has found his dog Buddy yet. He is self employed and makes most of his money doing sound for ESPN and TNT at Thunder games and other televised athletic events. This was supposed to be his busy week of the year (ie: makes the most money) as he does all the sound for the College Softball World Series here in town. I doubt he is going to be able to cover these games now. He is a super nice guy who works hard. He pushes me to the limit at the gym and I hate him and love him for it. I need him to get back there before I fall off the wagon.

Most importantly please pray for these families and all of those here in Oklahoma who are suffering as a result of the recent storms. This is a great state with the most kind and strong people I have ever known. Its hit way too close to "HOME" this time. They need your prayers
 

No comments:

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS