Saturday, November 10, 2012

60 miles. 3 days. 1 purpose

Several months ago my cousin Melissa sent me an email asking if I would be interested in participating the Susan G. Komen 3-day event with her this fall.  The 3-Day is a series of three-day, 60-mile walk that raise millions of dollars for breast cancer research, education, and community health programs. 3-Day participants raise a minimum of $2,300 and walk an average of 20 miles a day. So after a few weeks of figuring out if I was up for it I decided...heck yea!!!
Thousands and thousands of thanks to those people that donated and helped me reach my fundraising goal. They send you a pretty rigorous training schedule and I tired my best, I usually walked at least 4 miles five days a week and would try and get 8 or so in once a week. But it wasn't anywhere close to what they suggested. So I was very nervous as to if I could complete the walk without hopping on a "sweep van". So last Thursday night I headed down to Dallas and early, early ,early Friday morning Melissa and I were dropped off at Collin Creek Mall to start our journey through Dallas. They had a very touching and moving opening ceremony to start us off. And every where you looked there were these awesome balls of pink light.
 after a little stretch we were ready. All 1500+ walkers all decked out in some type of pink and ready to roll.
 I bought us each one of these handy dandy fanny packs (which turned out to be perfect) and had Grandad's famous quote from Melissa's parents wedding in Scotland.
The Hammett motto: "Have fun and travel light" -Dillard Hammett
Feet ready!
 For those of you who are wondering the reason this walk was so special to us is that we were honoring Melissa's mom
 My Aunt Nicky
 My Nana, Sue Houser
and friend Tamar Goodfellow, all breast cancer survivors!.
Our first day was around 20 miles. Melissa and I pretty much stayed in the front of the pack most of the day. They had us walking south through Richardson until lunch. My favorite part of the day was the 1st school we passed. They had every student out lining the sidewalk cheering us on. It was so awesome.
 And there were cute fireman to ooggle over.
 There were all these wonderful families out cheering us on and handing out candy and drinks.
 We had lunch at a park in Richardson and then they sent us underneath the High 5 (the intersection of 635 & 75). Did you know there are all kinds of walking paths under it.
We hit 13.1 (half marathon) just after that.
Then it was down Forest Lane along our parents old stomping grounds.
 to Day One's finish line.
 We did it. And although we were a little sore and very tired we both felt great.
They set up a huge campsite at Brookhaven Community College. So yes we "camped out" but it was so cool. Check out all the pink tents.
We got our tent all set up (with the assistance of a very cute volunteer!)
They have mobil shower units and stuff but since we were so close to Grandmother and Grandad's house we had them pick us up to go shower and change.
Zach (mustache and all) met us back at the campsite after we ate dinner with an air mattress.
I think we both were sound asleep before our heads hit the pillow.
We woke up the next morning both feeling pretty good. Melissa's big toenails were getting a little sore so she went to the medical tent and had her toenails taped down. Ready at the starting line.
We started out by going through one of the Brookhaven tunnels. I have walked though this tunnel at least 100 times with my Nana so I loved that we started this way.
 
 They had us head west down Valley View. We passed a bunch of my old stomping grounds.
Nana & Papa's House 
Kauli's Street
 The Manske Library
 all the way west to Oran Good Park and then back east to Webb Chapel where we passed our old street Brincrest.
 Down passed my elementary school WL Cabell
 and over the new pedestrian bridge.
 All the way down Cromwell north of Royal where we passed this cute family. The little boy in the bra thought he was so funny.
 Over to Withers and then right passed Grandmother & Grandad's street.
 and look who drove up!!
 Then it was back down Forest past my middle school.
 all the way to Hockaday for lunch. I swear it was the longest 12 mils ever. Melissa's toes were feeling it.
 as were my feet.
After lunch it was back up Welch and over to Midway. We had to make a pit stop to have Mel's toes checked.
 But after they told her she would need to stop at the next pit stop for treatment or take a van we were off again. They sent us west down Beltway all the to Josey. We stopped at the pit stop which put us back about an hour. The second day was taking much longer and we were much slower but it can't be anywhere close to cancer treatment.
We slowly made it back down Valwood to Marsh and finally saw the pink tents.
We look very rough for wear but we made it!
Grandmother picked us up for our showers and we ended up decided to eat dinner with them. After dinner we noticed that there was a lot of lighting in the sky so we wimped out and figured we might as well stay in a dry house. Heck we had just walked 23 miles! Honestly though I slept better in the tent...I think it was the fresh air. I love sleeping outside and of course it never did rain.
We had made it to the last day! You start at Ursuline Academy so we had to wait in line for a bit waiting to board our bus. It was nice to get to visit with some of the other walkers and volunteers. Everyone was very excited and you could feel it in the air.
 One the bus and ready to go.
Once they dropped us off it was down Walnut Hill past our old church Preston Hollow UMC
down through Preston Hollow and into the beautiful area of Highland Park! We even walked right by the Bodwells new house.
We saw this lady every day! Sometimes 3 times. She always had a smile on her face.
We headed down through Revechon Park where I had to visit the Medic. I though I had hurt my knee by slipping off a sidewalk but it turns out I just had an extremely tight hamstring. Once done it was down the Katy Trail to the West End. We must have been on the front end of the walk because we made it to the West End before noon. Aunt Nicky was flying in at noon so we beat them there.
 But we did have a one member cheering squad!
After a quick picture it was through downtown where we stopped at Main Street Park for lunch. 
Melissa got a present from a bird in the tree. 
I never knew this park existed but it really is a beautiful place right in the middle of downtown. 
 Pretty quickly we were off again and headed through to Deep Ellum. We made it to mile 59!
 Grandmother, Grandad and Nicky still weren't quite down to Fair Park (the finish line) so Zach picked us up and we had a beer at Twisted Root.
 
Then we were off for our last mile!
One last cocktail (people had cocktails all along the route but this was our only one)
and into Fair Park.
 
It turns out that the whole group walk across the finish line together so after snapping some pictures
 
We headed over to meet everyone and grab a bite to eat. We had about an hour to kill. It was nice to sit with everyone and enjoy some yummy pizza. I think Aunt Nicky was pretty proud!
 Ready to cross the finish line in our Victory Shirts.
 Walking into the closing ceremony.
It was an incredible ceremony
 they honored all the survivors.
 and informed us that this event alone raised over $3million dollars. (one participant alone raise $35,000)
 So proud to be her niece! 
Thank you Melissa for convincing me to do this. We made it. All 60+ miles of it. I can't think of anyone I would have rather done it with.
Until next time.....
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 

No comments:

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS