I would like to introduce the blogging world to our "home away from home" this summer. Sikanni River Ranch! My family (minus me) moved here 1996 and I spent many a summers here living a "mountain life". So here we go "Back to the Ranch" (in no particular order)
Driving up the Alaska Highway right before the Mile 171 road which is the turn off for the ranch
My Grandad painted this shovel the 1st summer we were here.
Who would have known he was such an artist.
Skip-bo is played several times a day at this old wood table in the lodge.
My dad has been known to kick a few new employees to the curb if they beat him their 1st try.
The fire-pit.....Smores...yum!
The porch swing....great reading spot
My comfy little bed....this is the "girls room" upstairs
It includes this beautiful crib my dad "Pops" made
Wild Strawberries (they are everywhere this year) and they taste wonderfull
Yes I crawl along the ground picking these and eating them dirt and all
The airstrip....a little over a mile to the end and back
The summer Jill was here with me we walked this 6 to 8 times a day!
Wild flowers from the mountains...
the biologist doing research up here brought these from off the mountain for my mom
Pops plane.....pretty nice way to get around
My Dad's and the Ranch's Brand in the sidewalk by the new lodge and the year it was started 1999.
Ah....the Hammock...our Christmas present to Pops.
The 1st afternoon I was here I took a 2 hour nap in it.
Sikanni Falls....a spectacular sight if your willing to take a little hike
One of Gran's flower pots...beautiful
Before the new Lodge was built this was my parents cabin...aka bedroom
And this was the Old Lodge....a kitchen, a dining room and a den
Jill and I learned how to make bread and pies in here!
The view from the Old Lodge...not bad, eh?
Here is the stirrup from my very 1st saddle
Can you see my initials....CH?
Pop's new meat shack....guess he isn't just an outfitter now but a butcher too
The corrals...at nap time
I built these stairs...ok well I dug them out and put stones down to make stairs.
Gran's Greenhouse
Papa's garden
Gran built this in remembrance of her dad, my Papa
Like the OU flag AJ added?
The dinner bell....when it rings you better hurry or you might miss a meal!
The Lodge.....every kind of trophy you can imagine... Coop has learned new words like Elk, Buffalo, Moose...
More of the Great Room and the amazing dining table where you eat amazing meals.
My Dad calls this his "Hoop-tee" it gets him around
The Sikanni River Valley as seen after a 1-hour horseback ride up a mountain
A nice rainbow (they are spectacular here)
Rain coming in for the afternoon
The trusty old ranch truck....my dad and cousin Austin did quite a paint job, you think?
A bridge built by some guest a couple of summers ago
This creek is where all the ranch water comes from MUCH better than Evian or Dansani.
Mt. Withrow. I tried climbing this once with Rob. We didn't make it to the top
The tack shed. Cooper has a fanscination with this place for some reason.
Today my dad and I pulled up and Ruby the mule was just walking right in the front door like she owns the place
These SR brands pop up all over...wonder why?
The corrals from the hay barn.
Right now there is a little bitty baby foal in here. He is pretty cute.
The bunkhouse.....where all the rowdy guest have to stay.
The river bank. Jennifer, Kauli and I spent a couple weeks laying out here. It was extrra warm that summer. My brother once knocked me out of a boat into the river at this very bank....talk about chilly.
The saw mill....my dad spent hours here for several year cutting wood and logs.
But he put them to good use....she pretty spectacular don't you think.
Well there you go....my brief picture introduction to the Sikanni.....believe me though, pictures don't do it justice.
.jpg)




6 comments:
Well if pictures don't do it justice then I have to see it in person. The place is amazing.
Absolutely amazing!!! Thank you for sharing. What a special place with so many memories and now you get to create them with Coop!!
I agree with Ilena! It's stunning!
You should all come here for a visit!!!!!
Ok we need to take a Coco trip to your parents one summer. I want to go back!
Looks amazing Caro!
Post a Comment