Monday, August 27, 2012

Canadian Adventure 2012

A couple of weeks ago we headed up north to spend 10 days at Gran and Pops house. It makes for a long day flying from OKC to FSJ. We had to wake up around 3:30 am to get to the airport in time. Thank you AJ for waking up and volunteering to take us.
The kids did great. Neither of them slept on the 1st flight and they enjoyed getting to experience the Denver Airport. Rob even let me get a massage during our long lay over. In fact it was one of the best ones I have ever had, so if you are ever stuck there in terminal D go upstairs and get one. It was well worth the money.
 Cooper loved every minute of waiting! HE was so anxious to get on each flight.
 But he totally CRASHED OUT on the Denver to Vancouver flight. One second he was talking to Rob about the wings and the next it was this
Georgia waited until we were off the flight though.
But she was once again WIDE AWAKE for the last flight.
She is a ball of energy sometimes. We finally landed in FSJ around 10:30 and had a 3 hour drive ahead of us. So we hit the McDonalds drive thru and got on the road. We got to the ranch after 2am and Cooper was out. He didn't hesitate to to find the couch.
My dad had to leave the next morning to take some guest to Beattie Lake for the day and Rob wanted to go along. So they all woke up early while I slept in. Cooper watched them saddle the horses up and even went for a little ride himself.
Cooper begging to get to go himself.
 But Gran got his attention directed elsewhere soon. After walking down to the river to watch them cross on horseback we were on a wild strawberry finding mission all day.
 Cooper and Gabby were hooked and Gran was happy to help.
 Yummy
We took it easy most of the day and played on the swing and took walks and waited for them to get back from Beattie. Cooper was so excited to learn there were two young boys on the trip Jack and Charlie. I think Charlie was around 7 and he was so great with Cooper. I bet Coop said the name Charlie 700 times while they were there. "Charlie, I am talking to you, Charlie" "Charlie, look at me", "Charlie, watch this"
Charlie helped him with his casting of the fishing line
 and then how to swing a golf club.
The next day was beautiful outside and we spent the morning out on the porch. Cooper joined Jack & Charlie for a little croquette on the lawn
We went up on the 4 wheelers for a little fishing.
Mom and I walked so we missed Coop's fish but we did get to watch him see other people catch some.

 and Gabby girl tried to eat a bunch of rocks.
 but then he needed a rest in the little bed.
 Gran made homemade buns and Rob made home made icecream so we had a delicious dinner of hamburgers, Coop's favorite corn on the cob, ice cream and a Pinterest recipe I found Apple Enchilada (totally yummy)
Rob wanted this picture so he could tease Joe and Bryson that he was there
The next day the guys all spent most of the day working on shoeing the last 8 or so horses. Cooper wanted to help so bad. I think Pop's back is anxiously awaiting Cooper's ability to take over the job too.
Gran and Gabby had some time out on the front porch together
but she didn't hesitate to put her straight to work either
 Gary here had a little accident while shoeing horses. One of them spooked and the nail got him right in the hand.
 Good thing Dr. Rob was there to sew him up!
 The next morning Charlie, Jack, their mom and grandparents all headed out to catch their flight home. Cooper was bummed but it didn't last long. I took this picture to show that despite a nightly bath he spent most of our ten days their looking exactly like this. Dirt in every crevice of his face and a kool aid mustache. (I bet this kid drank at least 4 gallons of kool aid while we were there, downfall of him learning how to pour it himself)
 Pops had big plans for Cooper though. He saddled up Diesel with my old kid saddle and Cooper went for his first ride up the airstrip. He was so brave, you have no idea how HUGE this horse is until you see him in person. James Harden would have to get a stool to get on him.
 Pops gave him some reining lessons.
 Whoa!!!
 Giddy up!
 After Coop was done I took Georgia for a little bare back ride
 for instance this guy can carry 4 Cunningham's on his back and doesn't even flinch!
 A little yard time with Gran
 Then we headed up to do a little fishing at 2nd creek. He did catch a fish but I failed to get a picture.
 We made a deal while we were there that every time Coop pooped on the potty he could fly in Pops plane. So mission accomplished
 Rob, Pops and Coop all headed up to Blue Bell for a visit.
 apparently about 2 minutes after take off he was fast asleep
 But when he got back he was wide awake and ready to help Gran bake some bread.
 After eating some of that bread it was matching pajama time and then Lego's with Dad and Peanut
 The next day was somewhat over cast in the morning and Rob thought the clouds looked cool
 I thought he looked cute so I had to snap a picture
 Pops pretty much let Cooper drive him around in the hoopty all day
 and lots of inside time with the legos.
My dad had to head to town to pick up some hunters and I spent the day helping my mom clean. Cooper was her help in the kitchen. He even wanted to serve each of us lunch. 
 While Gabby was napping Rob took Coop and headed up to do a little fishing. Of course as usual she didn't nap long so Mom and I decided to walk up there and meet them. It is about 2-1/2 miles which is a cake walk right now compared to the stuff I have been doing for this 3-day training but when you are pushing a stroller up a trail it is a darn good work out. We surprised the boys by meeting them there. When Coop saw us on the horizon he had to check us out with his "nanaculars". He is so funny.
 A mountain loving family!
 The ladies.
 We stopped for a look see at "dead mans camp" (yes a man died there in his sleep while camping with his family 10 or so years ago)
Rob cooked dinner for us that night and we sat outside and enjoyed the weather.



 Pops and the hunters got back late that night and were up early so he could fly them into camp.
After they were all delivered to camp safely we packed up and headed to the upper field for a picnic. Gabby girl was ready for her ride with Pops
 they really do love each other.
 Coop became the "gate guy" a job he will certainly hate in a few years but right now he is eager to always get the gate.
 riding with Gran and Pops.
 of course Peanut joined us.

 Cooper helped gather fire wood.
 and then it was weenie roast time (no pun intended)
 After the picnic Gran agreed to walk the 8 miles or so back to the ranch with me and Pops, Rob and the kids headed out to fish at 2nd creek. Apparently Cooper cast his Rob about 3 times and bam...
 He caught this awesome Rainbow Trout
 Mom and I met them there grabbed some water and kept walking. I made dinner that night and Gran kept Coop occupied on the lawn.
 The next morning Cooper and Gabby help Gran re pot some of her plants.
 and then they each wanted to wash off all the dirt. Actually Gabby crawled over to the tub she used the last time she was up and Cooper begged to have one of his own. So naked babies all over!
 They had so much fun. They spent several hours in these tubs over the course of our visit.

 How many Cunninghams can fit in a bus boy tub?
 We got to spend a couple of days at the ranch just us and Gran and Pops. Coop and Pops even took a quick snooze in the hammock
 and then Pops surprised Coop with another flight and a over night at Twin Lakes with Rob and Pops.
 Gran, Gabby and I spent the evening quilting a quilt for Mr. Dawson Pollock and the boys had a great adventure.
Here is my dads attempt at humor. He is trying to warn everyone to "duck" when they come into the cabin door at Twin Lakes.
 Working on the new flagpole for camp while Rob is out scouting for a moose.
 When they woke up EARLY the next morning Rob had spotted a bull moose in the lake and the hunt was on. Pops and Coop hunkered down with the binoculars and after sitting perfectly still for several minutes Rob looked over and they had fallen asleep!
 The moose spooked and so the hunt didn't turn out successful but you can't beat the views.

Coop wanted breakfast and was ready to get back to the ranch so after an english muffin the boys packed up and headed back
Mom and I had planned on quilting all day and rearranging some furniture but the boys threw a kink in our plans. Nothing a little animal pancakes couldn't fix.
Luckily they did come back though because some more fishermen showed up and needed my dads help getting to Beattie. Rob and I hiked up there with them for the day. My shirt was totally soaked in sweat halfway through. 
My husband is the most impatient fisherman ever. We motored around that lake changing lures over and over and he didn't catch one fish. But he looked good doing it!
we tried one last time but when you are with the TWO most impatient fishermen ever we didn't last long.
 My dad showed up with the horses around 8pm and My dad was telling us though that Cooper was back at the ranch BEGGING him to come with him. "I can do it Pops, I can" and then when my dad said we would be riding back in total darkness he looked him straight in the eye and said "but Pops I ate two carrots, I can see in the dark" Bless his heart.

 After riding in complete darkness for an hour and a half and totally trusting my steed Pathfinder we made it back safely around midnight. We woke up for our last day at the ranch. Gabby and Coop did a little mowing in the living room.

 Then once everyone was dressed it was time to check all the to do's off our list.
One last flight with Pops. Including buzzing the lodge a few times.

 He helped put it up in the hanger!

Then Pops needed help wrangling some horses.  
 This kid is losing his fear. I have a video of this and you can hear him copying every shout and noise my dad makes.
 Introducing the new mule "Bryson"
 Showing Gran and I his new Forrest Gump skills on the lawn mower.
 Don't worry the blade was not going
 Then it was a family 4-wheeler ride up to Trimble Creek. Even Georgia came along.
 Cooper insisted on riding with Pops because he was pulling a trailer.
 She had the best seat in the house.
 18 miles or so later I had VERY dusty boys.
 he loved it!!!
 So after a bumpy ride back the kids needed a bath...why not take one outside.
 It was an early night because we had to wake up at 4am to head to town to catch our flight home. No one was ready to leave despite the smiles it was a sad morning.
It was really the best trip. The kids did so great and the ranch was perfect. I needed the time there. I can't believe how much Cooper changed while we were there, he got so brave and was willing to try everything. He was such a great helper and he just grew up in front of my eyes. I wish I had written all the great things he said. Gabby is such a daredevil and is going to run this place next time we are up there. Thank you Mom and Dad for everything!!! I can't wait to get there next summer.

No comments:

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS